Bradford Woods Reserve
In August of 2010, the Allegheny Land Trust secured a conservation easement on this 4.5-acre parcel of land in cooperation with the borough of Bradford Woods, located just south of Bradford Road and north of Harding Road. Open to the public, this small parcel offers a place of refuge and a bit more nature in a suburban landscape.
A conservation easement means that the landowner gives up the right to develop the land, guaranteeing that it will forever stay in its natural state.
The Bradford Woods Reserve is a mostly wooded property, with a small system of creeks that flow into Pine Creek (Pine Creek is a tributary of the Allegheny River). In addition to the creek system, there is a small pond on the property that is stocked by a local volunteer in order to allow for recreational fishing. A small open meadow emerges within the reserve, which in the past has been planted with wildflowers. Elevations range from 1183 ft. at the bed of the stream to 1225 ft. near the entrance at Bradford Road.
This land has been, and will continue to be used largely for recreation and green space. There are trails that run through the property, highlighted by a beautiful wooden footbridge. Hiking, walking and running are popular activities, as well as bird watching and other outdoor activities.